From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:22:45 -0500
From: Mary Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
 Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 17:12:34 -0800

Publishers have a variety of terms in their transfers of copyright so
one can't make blanket statements about what rights an author retains
in the standard transfer, let alone what he/she might be able to
negotiate.

The standard SPIE Transfer of Copyright for a Proceedings Paper or
Journal Article says the following:

Authors, or their employers in the case of works made for hire, retain
the following rights:

1. All proprietary rights other than copyright, including patent rights.

2. The right to make and distribute copies of the Paper for internal purposes.

3. The right to use the material for lecture or classroom purposes.

4. The right to prepare derivative publications based on the Paper,
including books or book chapters, journal papers, and magazine
articles, provided that publication of a derivative work occurs
subsequent to the official date of publication by SPIE.

5. The right to post an author-prepared version or an official version
(preferred version) of the published paper on an internal or external
server controlled exclusively by the author/employer, provided that
(a) such posting is noncommercial in nature and the paper is made
available to users without charge; (b) a copyright notice and full
citation appear with the paper, and (c) a link to SPIE's official
online version of the abstract is provided using the DOI (Document
Object Identifier) link.

Mary Summerfield
Publications Business Development Manager
SPIE