From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:33:14 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:00:30 -0600

But, Fred, you are assuming exactly what Allington calls into
question, viz., that it is the journal article that the public wants
and needs. You have not addressed Allington's claim about most journal
articles not being accessible to most members of the public at large.
OA advocates use the argument of the public's need to justify
government mandates. If they are simply asking to have TA journal
literature made more freely available to other qualified researchers,
that is a wholly different argument--and one that is surely much more
open to debate.

Sandy Thatcher