From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2015 18:16:45 -0400
From: Alison Mudditt <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:53:41 -0700

As Ann notes, we announced our OA monograph program, Luminos, earlier
this year. We have several manuscripts already in production and are
on track to publish nine Luminos titles this fall.

Monographs are the cornerstone of scholarly research in the humanities
and social sciences, and as a university press, this publishing is
central to our mission. Luminos offers a sustainable model for
publishing monographs—a model in which costs are shared between all
parties who benefit from publication—author or institution, publisher,
and libraries. As an open access program, Luminos is designed to
increase the visibility and impact of scholarly work by making it
globally accessible and freely available in digital format, without
any reduction in quality. Luminos monographs are subject to the same
exacting standards of selection and peer review as books published in
our traditional print program.

We have sought to keep Luminos’s publication costs as low as possible.
Our baseline cost per title is $15,000 (this rises with longer titles
and/or those with greater complexity, such as heavy illustration or
multimedia elements). The cost to each author will start at $7,500
(again, rising with increased length and complexity), and we assume
that this cost will typically be funded by one of a number of
potential sources at the author’s institution.

The remaining amount will be funded through a combination of ongoing
subsidy from UC Press, the sale of print copies, and revenue from
library membership. We will be rolling out additional information
about library membership shortly; in the meantime, you can see the
basic details on the Luminos website at www.luminosoa.org.

Alison Mudditt | Director
University of California Press
155 Grand Avenue, Suite 400 | Oakland | CA 94612-3758
Phone: 510-883-8240
www.ucpress.edu