From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:44:08 -0500
From: T Scott Plutchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:54:51 +0000

A better policy would focus on providing public access to the final
published version of record rather than settling for the author's
final manuscript.  It might also provide incentives to encourage the
adoption of standards (like the NLM DTD) that would encourage data- &
text-mining.

The principles I'd like to see incorporated into public access
policies are recommended in the report from the Scholarly Publishing
Roundtable (January 2010).  The report (and related materials) can be
found on the AAU website:
http://www.aau.edu/policy/scholarly_publishing_roundtable.aspx

(And I should emphasize, because people sometimes get it confused,
that the Roundtable was formed as an independent entity at the request
of the House Committee on Science and Technology in coordination with
the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP).
Materials live on the AAU website because John Vaughn, Executive Vice
President of the Association of American Universities, served as our
chair and graciously provided the hosting.)

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham