From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:34:19 -0400
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:06:31 +0100

I think the reason that we are 'ignoring' the quality issues that
Jeffrey Beall is concerned about is because there is currently no
evidence that this is actually a function of business model.  Yes,
there are some very poor open access journals, but there are also some
very poor subscription-based journals.  There are also excellent OA
journals just as there are excellent subscription-based titles.  And
the vast majority (well over two-thirds) of OA papers where an author
payment has been made have been published in titles covered by JCR
and/or SCOPUS.  (See the paper of David Solomon and Bo-Christer Bjork
- http://www.openaccesspublishing.org/apc2/)  Now, these may not be
perfect metrics of excellence, but they should go some way to
reassuring us that this is not a huge problem.

Jeffrey Beall is, of course, wrong about the definition of gold OA -
he claims that 'By definition, gold open-access publishers levy an
article processing charge (APC).'  There is nothing in the definition
of gold OA that dictates how the publisher covers their costs.  APC
may by the most common method (in terms of number of papers, not
number of journals), but it is not the only method.

David Prosser