From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:18:51 -0500
From: FrederickFriend <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:42:10 +0000

I shall “de-personalise” this reply to Anthony although what I shall
write below is derived from my experience and the experience of other
librarians and former librarians.

On the influence of librarians within universities on copyright
issues, this has developed because researchers, teachers and students
have asked librarians for advice when faced with copyright issues
affecting their work, for example on the copying of library materials
for classroom use. In some institutions this has led to a nomination
of a librarian as Copyright Officer, in others it has remained
informal. Librarians recognise that they are not copyright experts,
but they always have recourse to institutional legal advisers if
necessary. (I wonder what the situation is in publishers’ rights
offices: are all the staff there legally-qualified, or do they also
turn to the legal officers when they face an unusual situation?)
Although librarians are not copyright experts, they do build up
experience, particularly when they see the effect of restrictive
copyright legislation or licences upon their institution’s research
and teaching.

Likewise it is librarians’ experience of dealing with problems in the
current scholarly communication system that has led to their
involvement in campaigns for change. Some librarians are scholars,
some may not be, but most librarians know what it is like not to be
able to purchase enough research monographs or textbooks because a
very high proportion of the library budget is spent on journals from a
handful of publishers. Librarians cannot ignore such situations,
especially at a time when there is little hope of increased public
funding of libraries. What librarians have to do in such situations is
advise their university authorities on the allocation of the library
budget which yields the highest return in terms of access, use and
impact for researchers, teachers and learners. Some academics will not
and do not agree with changes in scholarly communication. Others do
agree. We all have to say what we believe to be right.

The big publishers do spend a  lot of money on lobbying. I do not
blame them for that (although it is galling that high journal prices
paid by libraries provide the money for them to lobby). Publishers
have to do what they feel to be right to protect their profit margins.
Librarians also lobby for what they feel to be beneficial change. It
is a reality within universities and within governments.

Fred Friend
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL