From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:18:28 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:26:14 -0600

I think there is a lot of variation, actually. While I was director at
Penn State, I followed a policy of aligning the journals program
editorially with the book program, so that there was some editorial
synergy between the two (with some journal contributors becoming book
authors and, in a few cases, journal editors doubling as book series
editors) as well as economies involved in marketing and promotion
(since we attended the scholarly conferences that were relevant to
both our books and journals in the same fields). But there are plenty
of presses where the book and journal programs have very little to do
with each other, and where journals acquisitions are entirely separate
from book acquisitions. Depending on the size of the journals program,
the press may or may not actually "have constant contact with the
community" through "attendance at key conferences." There is, for
sure, no ongoing design work involved; once a design for a journal has
been chosen, it is rarely, if ever, changed, and certainly not from
issue to issue. So there are important differences that are
financially as well as editorially significant. Press staff do not get
involved in the actual decisions about which articles to accept,
whereas they do control that part of the process for books.

Sandy Thatcher