From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:26:21 -0400
From: Catherine Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 20:40:42 +0000

Joe -

A word (or two) from California on the subject of our OA policy
implementation numbers. UC faculty typically publish around 40,000
scholarly articles per year, if we aggregate the scholarly article
publication numbers from all ten UC campuses. We have, since beginning
our OA policy implementation a year and a half ago, collected nearly
13,000 articles from them that fall under the policy. As thrilled as
we are with these numbers (because, yes, this is more than we hoped
for initially, given the challenges of implementing these policies and
engaging campus communities), we also recognize that there is
significant room to grow here.

Our progress, thus far, has been made possible through a combination
of 1). energetic outreach on the part of UC campus librarians, meeting
with faculty committees, departments, etc. to get the word out about
the policy and 2). the implementation of Symplectic Elements as a
means of "automating" as much of the process of article collection as
possible. What we are able to do via Elements is create a corpus of
publication records for faculty which they can then accept/reject at
the click of a button and then simply upload their AAMs into our
system. The records and publications are then transferred to
eScholarship (www.escholarship.org),  UC's OA repository and
publishing platform, for display.

We have seen exponential growth in participation in the policy since
implementing Elements, now that faculty no longer have the burden of
filling in publication record information in our systems and are
regularly alerted when we find their new publications in indexes. That
said, we are also quite cognizant of the challenges, described by
Chris Kelty in the recent Chronicle article, of capturing and
maintaining the attention of busy faculty who have varied levels of
interest in and commitment to making their scholarship open. We hope,
in our next phase of implementation, to create efficiencies for
faculty by integrating Elements with other campus systems that
currently collect faculty publication information, eliminating
duplicative/frustrating tasks for them (and thus making the case for
participation in yet another way).  But of course, these kinds of
integrations take resources...

In evaluating our progress against an idealized 100% policy
participation rate, the Chronicle article oversimplified what is to be
gained here.  At significantly less than 100% policy compliance, we
have still managed to achieve a few important things:

·         Extending the reach of UC scholarship/research:  There are
nearly 13,000 new UC-authored publications now openly accessible to
the world

·         Empowering UC faculty to retain reuse rights to their own
research:  All our faculty (regardless of their article deposit
activities) now hold rights in their publications that they were
previously signing away upon publication.

To our minds, this is good news indeed.  We look forward to reporting
even better news as our efforts continue.

Catherine

Catherine Mitchell, PhD
Director, Access & Publishing
California Digital Library | University of California
[log in to unmask] | 510-587-6132
escholarship.org
calisphere.cdlib.org
oac.cdlib.org