From:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2012 21:53:17 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 10:06:45 +0100

Dear Rick,

I am not sure when university presses mainly published the output of their
universities as did learned societies the output of their members but
certainly in the past this was their function. What I do know is that part
of the success of commercial publishers was due to the fact that these
existing publishing organisations were seen as stifling new developments and
being in the hands of a relatively narrow group who decided what should be
published. I am not saying that this was in fact the case but I can say from
experience of someone who has started 100s of new journals in my time that
those who came to me with proposals usually if not invariably did so on this
basis.

These are publishers. It seems to me that the idea that departments should
decide who gets funding to pay APCs is much more of a problem. Wearing my
academic hat I would suggest that where disbursement of any funds is
concerned it is not infrequent that heads of department use their patronage
to favour those in their own group. They are the filter. Even Wellcome, who
are really generous funders of publications, pass the responsibility
downstream to institutions holding grants from them after a period of time.
There will have to be selection. I do not think academics in general want
their peers or superiors to be the selectors. Like you I am not suggesting
that such problems are insuperable.

Back in 2002 Raym Crow wrote an extremely lucid explanation of the new
publication environment which could be centred on the institutional
repositories in his Case for Institutional Repositories - see
http://www.arl.org/sparc/repositories/readings.shtml. The fact that his
suggested re-alignment of scholarly communication has not come to pass does
not mean the analysis is other than excellent. I have just been teaching a
class of students and using his thinking as a starting point. I cannot
remember whether he mentions branding

Anthony