From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 18:20:39 -0400
From: Kathleen Shearer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:39:52 -0400

Hi Rick,

It is my understanding that in 2013-14, Elsevier’s self archiving
policy stated that authors could make their Article Accepted
Manuscript available via a repository immediately, unless they were
required by their funders or institutions to deposit their publication
in a repository.

http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/elsevierembargoes.php?la=en&fIDnum=|&mode=simple&version=)

http://web.archive.org/web/20131101155818/http://cdn.elsevier.com/assets/pdf_file/0018/121293/External_Embargo_List_2013.pdf

The new 2015 policy imposes journal embargo periods for making
articles open access via an institutional repository on all authors at
all institutions.

http://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/78476/external-embargo-list.pdf

We could debate whether this is a small or a big change, but it is
clearly not a change towards greater access.

Besides this, there are some really important fundamental issues that
are raised by this policy around who should determine the conditions
of researcher sharing and open access. Should it be the scholarly
community (e.g. funding agencies, institutions and researchers) or
should it be publishers?

Perhaps now is an appropriate time for our community/ies to engage in
such a discussion.

Best, Kathleen