From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:34:20 -0500
From: Laval Hunsucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:16:34 -0800

Even from my own personal experience I know that we are
by no means only talking "errors" here, that is to say e.g.
that some editors ( though they may not actively encourage
the practice ) certainly allow an author to make relatively
substantive albeit sometimes subtle alterations to his or her
article text even after the revised post-referee version has
been submitted and accepted and the article has entered the
initial copy-editing phase. My personal experience indicates
also that even the publisher's desk editor may, between the
time the author has seen her/his manuscript for the last time
and when it goes to the printer, make non-trivial alterations.

None of the above is meant to detract from Stevan Harnad's
very understandable points made earlier in this thread,
concerning "the reason we are discussing authors' refereed,
accepted final drafts versus publisher's copy-edited versions
of record here".

And not mentioned yet, I believe, is the version problem
arising from the fact that an article previously published
in a journal issue may later be taken up, in slightly or more
than slightly altered/updated form, into a collective work --
of the 'collected essays', "Studies in . . ." or "Companion
to . . ." etc. sort. It is not unusual that this republished
version achieves a much broader dissemination and becomes
much more broadly read than the initial journal version, the
[ ? ] 'version of record'. I at least have often been faced with
the choice whether to cite the republished version
( sometimes much more easily available ) or the original
published version ( which may have appeared in a relatively
obscure or highly specialized periodical ), for example in
cases where the alterations implemented in the former are
irrelevant to the purpose of my citation. Or, . . . both ?  Of
course such situations are less likely to arise in the "hard"
sciences than in other scholarly fields.

- Laval Hunsucker
 Swarthmore, PA, USA