From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 15:24:40 -0400
From: Subbiah Arunachalam <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:05:33 -0700

Ms Dutton says that BMJ tried Green and failed. I thought what BMJ
tried was Gold OA, although, like Prof. Andrew Adams, all I care is
for all of science and scholarship to be available free to all no
matter if it is through the Green or the Gold channel.

I do not know why a large number of people give too much weightage to
publishing companies, when in reality the part they play in the entire
process of scholarly communication is rather small. Ask high energy
physicists. They can carry on with arXiv even if all journals are
closed down tomorrow.

Please remember we do research to advance knowledge and benefit people
at large and not to increase the profit margins of journal publishing
companies. Close to 70% of R&D investments in India come from the
Government, meaning taxpayers. The money should eventually benefit the
people, most of whom are poor. A large chunk of it now goes to journal
subscriptions (through about a dozen consortia). A professor at the
Indian Institute of Science points out that  a very small proportion
of these journals are actually being used by the faculty and students
at his institute.

Look at the OER scenario. OER started much later than the OA
repositories and OA journals, and yet today OER content is far larger
than the OA content and literally millions of people are benefiting.
In India, the NPTEL programme is doing very well.

To me it seems that Dame Janet Finch and the members of her
Committee have done harm to the world by reversing the general
trend in the UK. It will take awhile for others to recover the lost ground.

Arun