From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:56:36 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>

>From: Joseph Esposito
Harnad writes that "a minority [of publishers] want a one-year
embargo."  I doubt that that is true.  Most publishers are trying to
accommodate the needs and interests of funding agencies, society
members, librarians, and the general public.  I doubt very much that
many publishers are happy with only a one-year embargo. Policies of
this kind represent difficult compromises.

Harnad:
I didn't say they liked a 1-year embargo. Perhaps in place of "want,"
which is ambiguous, I should have said ""a minority [of publishers]
demand a one-year embargo." The majority of publishers do not
demand any embargo at all. (I don't doubt that among those that do,
some would prefer a longer one…)

Stevan Harnad