From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2016 20:51:56 -0500
From: "Kearney, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 13:38:36 +0000

Actually, I've already seen a number of publisher short-term loan fees
that are in excess of $35, and there is no guarantee that those costs
will be less than current print ILL costs in either the short- or
long-term. But not every publisher currently agrees to short-term
loans, and this may not be achieved even after additional years of
negotiation. Given the role that it plays for libraries and users, a
role that has nothing to do with format, it is difficult to see how
inter-library loan (or whatever one wishes to call its functional
equivalent in the networked environment) would be surrendered by
libraries. So it is not surprising that any major initiative on eBook
futures should include the topic within the scope of its concerns.

Richard Kearney
Electronic Resources Librarian
David and Lorraine Cheng Library
William Paterson University
300 Pompton Road
Wayne, NJ 07470

From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 09:14:18 -0500

I know that ILL is not free for librarians. The last time I looked
into this I came across estimates of $35 per loan. If there is more
recent information on this, I would like to know. This is ILL for
print books, of course; ILL for ebooks would be a very different
matter, one which may be constrained by copyright law. I have no
expertise on that matter.

My point about ILL and DDA/PDA is that DDA for electronic books is
likely to displace ILL for print (for those books that appear in DDA
aggregrations). A short-term loan may cost less than the $35 for print
ILL. Publishers are likely to support this because they receive no
income from ILL, but receive revenue from DDA (which is shared with
the aggregator and author). It's a win-win, is it not? Libraries have
lower costs, publishers receive income. The trucking companies lose
out.

Joe Esposito