From:
Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:00:58 +0000
Just want to point out that the Author's Guild lawsuit against Hathi Trust and five of its partner institutions is about access to orphan works, not reuse.  The failed Google Books Settlement has given some organizations a taste for making a profit by selling such access, IMO, and they are anxious to prevent any successful non-commercial method of providing access to orphans.  This is why the recent filing in the Hathi lawsuit insists that there is no fair use for libraries at all, to prevent libraries arguing fair use as a justification for access to orphan works.

I very much wish the world was as Sandy suggests, but I am afraid I see a much more contested landscape, even over basic access to works that are not subject to any commercial exploitation.

Kevin L. Smith
Duke University