From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:13:18 -0500
From: "Pikas, Christina K." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 01:31:01 +0000

In the past, students have shared their directory logins in internet
forums. The publisher usually figures it out pretty quickly and
notifies the school who then shuts down the account. Other times
hackers have found faulty settings on proxy servers and the like. Once
again, one of the more technologically advanced publishers will notice
and tell the school.

I don’t know if it’s impossible to get delisted – maybe to stay that
way given the publicity. It seems that the school could shut down the
access point if they knew what it was but another might arise soon
after.

I don’t know that anyone has pointed to this article yet:

Cabanac, G. (in press), Bibliogifts in LibGen? A study of a
text-sharing platform driven by biblioleaks and crowdsourcing. Journal
of the Association for Information Science and Technology. doi:
10.1002/asi.23445

I asked the author (on Twitter) about concerns he had regarding doing
the research and using his computer. He seems to have escaped
unscathed.

Christina, who is not even going to think about taking a look at this thing