From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2016 19:53:25 -0500
From: Anita Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 09:58:20 -0500

Hi Dennis,

This case and related story might be of interest:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-375_4f57.pdf

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/how-an-ebay-bookseller-defeated-a-publishing-giant-at-the-supreme-court/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtsaeng_v._John_Wiley_%26_Sons,_Inc.
(Yes, I cited Wikipedia :)

Per the Supreme Court, this is legal in the U.S. but it goes against
the wishes of the publisher so the ethics are questionable.

Anita

Anita R. Walz
Open Education, Copyright & Scholarly Communications Librarian
Library Liaison to Economics, Mathematics, and Legal Studies
[log in to unmask] | Tel: 540-231-2204 | Fax: 540-231-7808 | Newman Library
422 | Twitter: @arwalz
Open Educational Resources Guide http://guides.lib.vt.edu/oer

Virginia Tech
University Libraries (0434)