From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:10:19 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 20:18:50 -0400

Gosh, Kevin. Strong stuff. New business opportunities have to be in
line with what the current business owner is doing already? The
business owner would not have conceived of the new business activity
without an outsider showing the way? But how about all the cases where
the very opposite happened. To take an example of a service familiar
to people on this list, let's recall the origin of Lexis Nexis, the
brainchild of Mead paper products. Worried about how computers would
eventually erode sales of paper, Mead came up with an online service.
That's hardly the same things as selling notebooks in stationery
stores to schoolkids. Or there is Dialog, incubated by accident inside
Lockheed as an attempt to find a cheaper way to build airplane wings.

I really don't know what the law is about fair use and copyright and I
don't care to opine on it. What I do find hard to take is the
assumption that the people who run established businesses are somehow
devoid of creativity and imagination. Look around you: the modern
world is a monument to the creative use of capital married to the
human imagination. As Paul Simon said, These are the days of miracle
and wonder./This is the long distance call.

Joe Esposito