Current Liblicense Archive - Licensing trend: restrictions on dissemination of COUNTER stats

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

LIBLICENSE-L  May 2016

LIBLICENSE-L May 2016

Licensing trend: restrictions on dissemination of COUNTER stats

Mon, 16 May 2016 20:20:56 -0400

From: Juleah Ann Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 16:37:03 +0000

Hi colleagues,

I’m looking for some insight on a trend I’ve been seeing with
publisher licenses.

I’ve noticed in a few licenses, language is being added that restricts
libraries use and dissemination of COUNTER usage data.

Two types of restrictions I’ve seen are either:

1.       Restricting use and dissemination of COUNTER statistics to
within the institution/library, OR

2.       Requesting permission from vendor/publisher for use and
dissemination of COUNTER statistics.

I am very concerned about these types of restrictions impeding on and
potentially influencing/introducing editorial control by vendors into
the type of research we conduct in our field. A great deal of
research, publications, and conference presentations on collection
development, acquisitions, and e-resources rely on the dissemination
of COUNTER usage statistics.

Furthermore, restrictions could lead to important research projects
not being shared with the greater community, impeding innovation and
introduction of new ideas in our field.

I also happen to stumble upon this blog post arguing that publishers
should take back more control over COUNTER stats and other analytics:

http://squidsolutions.com/publisher-own-usagedata/

So this trend I’m seeing in licenses may become more prevalent as this
discussion grows.

Here are some questions that I’d like some better understanding on:

-Can COUNTER stats be “owned”?

-Is there already an existing precedent on who owns this data between
libraries and vendors?

-Are others seeing restrictions in license agreements?

(I wasn’t able to find a previous thread on this topic in the
archives, but I apologize if this has already been discussed!)

Thanks everyone,

Juleah Swanson

Head of Acquisitions Services
University of Colorado Boulder Libraries