From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:54:43 -0400
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:39:47 +0200

Fred,

Indeed, we signed up to the BOAI, as did Stevan Harnad, and the
Initiative talked about two routes to OA, which have become known as
'gold' and 'green'. The BOAI doesn't talk about keeping a 'balance'
between the two, if memory serves. (I tried to look it up to make
sure, but the BOAI page at soros.org is not available anymore –
perhaps temporarily, in any case this morning).

If one thinks that the verb "rubbish" is appropriate to describe
Finch's treatment of 'green', then one must surely conclude that
"rubbish" is the term to be used – a forteriori – for Harnad's
treatment of 'gold', constantly calling people who even contemplate
'gold' alongside of 'green'  foolish or worse. The point of my
on waiting until the OA world is 'green' before doing anything with
'gold' is putting dogma before pragma; waiting to open the parachute
until a split second before hitting the ground and calling that a
'good thing'. Or even believing that.

Since the BOAI, 'green' has evolved somewhat. And so has the need for
full access and re-use (delivered by what is now sometimes called
'libre OA', though the definition of OA in the BOAI already included
the properties of 'libre'). Originally, 'green' was the deposit (by
authors) of their final, accepted manuscript in an open repository,
before or at the time of publication of its formal version in a
journal. That has been watered down, not in terms of deposit, but in
terms of openness and 'libre-ness', by the idea of ID/OA (in which OA
means 'optional access', to make any confusion about OA worse).
Delayed OA (which 'green' with embargoes is) and not being able to
re-use the literature would have been anathema at the original BOAI.

The way I read it, the Finch Report expresses a preference for
immediate, 'libre', open access, and sees 'gold' as more likely to be
able to deliver that than 'green'. Meanwhile, 'green' is a way to
deliver OA (albeit delayed and not libre) where 'gold' is not feasible
yet. That is an entirely sensible viewpoint, completely compatible
with the letter – and I think also the spirit – of the BOAI.

Jan Velterop