From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:17:18 -0400
From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:49:34 +0100

I'm not sure about this particular license, but in general I think the
recommended policy would be for the publisher of an OA journal to set
a fee with CCC (etc) for all copying - but to set it at zero.

However, if the amount collected by the RRO is unaffected by
publisher-set fees (as it might be in some cases), then all you are
doing by opting out of receiving your share is to ensure that it gets
shared out among the other publishers involved, who have not done so.

Sally

Sally Morris
Email:  [log in to unmask]

________________________________

From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:26:22 +0000

Unfortunately, when you opted out of CCC licensing, all you did was
decline to receive further checks; you did not, apparently, stop them
from continuing to express their willingness to collect fees for
permission when and if they are asked.  I have heard multiple stories
from both authors and publishers about the CCC offering permission for
materials that they do not seem entitled to license.  It is quite
similar, really, to the recent flap about Elsevier offering to sell
permission to reprint articles that have been published through its
own paid open access option.

The worst of this is that organizations that try to be responsible and
seek a license when they believe it is needed do not actually know
whether they are buying a valid license or just paying for something
that might ultimately be useless as protection against an infringement
claim.  In that climate of uncertainty, the value of all such
licensing is diminished.

Kevin