From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 20:02:56 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:41:08 +0000

Dear Jim,

As it happens we are currently launching a journal across biology and
Medicine called F1000 Research (http://f1000research.com) which will
indeed experiment with completely opening up the formal peer review
process to avoid many problems with peer review, including the one you
eluded to below of not knowing whether an article has been rejected
numerous times before finally being accepted in a 'peer-reviewed'
journal.

The idea behind F1000 Research is to provide scientists with a
far-reaching alternative to existing journal publishing models and
will address four significant issues:

1. Speed. We will offer immediate publication, following a brief
internal review. All submissions will initially be labelled as
'awaiting peer review'.

2. Peer review. Submissions will go into a rapid, formal, and
completely open peer review process post-publication. Our intention
here is to eliminate the delays and injustices that too often arise in
the standard closed peer review system.

3. Research types. A wide variety of types of research findings will
be accepted, from traditional articles to null/negative findings, to
replicate/refutation findings.

4. Primary data. We will promote sharing, publication and refereeing
of datasets, in the form of separate data papers, to foster
collaboration and accelerate scientific discovery.

Although we plan to formally launch towards the end of the year, we do
plan to start publishing a few articles starting in the next few weeks
to test some of these novel processes. There are more details of our
initial plan at
http://f1000research.com/2012/01/30/f1000-research-join-us-and-shape-the-future-of-scholarly-communication-2/,
and further information will be posted shortly at
Http://f1000research.com.  We have received extensive support from all
areas of biology and medicine, including our large prestigious
Advisory Panel: http://f1000research.com/advisory-panel/.

We are aiming to develop this initiative very much in consultation
with the relevant communities and so any thoughts or comments on the
plans would be very much welcomed.

Kind regards
Rebecca

Rebecca Lawrence, PhD