From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:43:54 -0500
From: Sean Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:32:48 -0600

I think the last lines of this says a lot about the role of the
library in these cases: educating people on how to use tablet
computers and streaming video so patrons qua customers can go buy them
for the home.

In any case I thought this a relevant item for the list since it
touches on one of Joe Esposito's recent Scholarly Kitchen blog pieces.
In it he looks to consumer markets for how all media may be used in
the future. Netflix's streaming only series /House of Cards/ is one
such example. It explicitly taps into an emergent cultural practice of
sitting down and watching 10 hours at a time. Here, libraries were
nervous about how they might provide patrons access to content like
this - and, of course, where it might be archived.

I wonder if Netflix or Hulu (or the companies that license the rights
to them) will have any problem with this arrangement.

Best,
Sean