From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:05:57 -0400
From: David Groenewegen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:55:08 +1000

In the age of the Big Deal, I think the symmetry is pretty strong - in
both cases the crux of it is, if you publish more, you earn more, and
the easiest way to publish more is to drop your standards. I can
ignore a sales pitch as well as anyone, I was amused that the Elsevier
statement implied that this basic truth didn't apply to them.

Your defence of the subscription method:

" This is the real virtue of the subscription model:  it
> demands competition based on editorial quality, as libraries, with
> limited budgets, will cancel everything else."

might have been true once (to some extent - plenty of crappy journals
survived for decades out of inertia or were subscribed to by libraries
because a faculty member was on the editorial board), but really
doesn't hold up any more.

If the "International Journal of Ballpoint Pen Manufacture" is part of
a publisher package, and it produces the equivalent of 1200 pages of
rubbish every year my library can't cancel it without cancelling the
package, which might have dozens of titles we do want. And if it
increases to 1320 pages of rubbish next year, this 10% increase in
"content" will be one of the justifications for the 10% price increase
of the package. Once your title is under the sheltering umbrella of a
big publisher, there is no incentive to be more selective, nor is
there any incentive for the publisher to remove a title. If there was,
the journal packages would stabilised in size years ago, but they
haven't. They publish more pages and more titles every year. And they
put their prices up beyond inflation every year.

The incentive systems in academia encourage this of course, but that's
not the point. OA and subscription publishing are certainly different
systems, but they both gain from publishing more.