From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:12:03 -0400
From: Mary Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:46:11 -0700

Most of the revenue from a book sale does not "go to" the publisher as
in stay there as profit (which this message suggests in comparing it
to the royalty to the author).  It goes to wholesalers, retailers,
printers, and others in the chain of producing and distributing the
book.  The share staying with the publisher (especially a scholarly
publisher) is very small.  A small book publisher is luck to break
even on its operations.

Mary Summerfield

Publications Business Development Manager
SPIE

From: Ari Belenkiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 23:04:01 -0700

But David, Finch made it clear that Universities lack the means for
distribution of its faculty's works.

This is the vocation of publishers who reap the dividends.

That's why the authors of the books receive only 10% of revenue - the
rest goes to a publisher.

Ari Belenkiy
Richmond BC