From:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 20:38:18 -0400
From: Ari Belenkiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 21:02:12 -0700

Joe,  Sorry, I singled your post because I felt you were trying to
roll up the problem under the rug. Sorry, if I was mistaken.

We face a true dilemma of "clearly perceived public benefit from vs.
outright theft by Sci-Hub". I believe the issue is in stalemate or
"legal equilibrium". Though the NY court seems to be sympathetic to
Elsevier's charges against Sci-Hub, this could have been a lukewarm
decision since the court did not examine the other side's arguments.

The question is how to shake this legal equilibrium - toward one side
or another? Let me attempt to do the feat.

Until a "transferring copyright agreement" is considered as
"transferring property agreement" there is no way to resolve this
problem legally. Unless we invoke a legal notion of "inalienable
right" of a producer of an abstract idea (aka author).

Then my suggestion that "the authors become beneficiaries of whatever
is done with their papers" -- which destroys the legal equilibrium
toward the "outright theft" -- will have a firm legal footing.

There are Elsevier people on the list - are they ready to share their
profits with the authors?

Ari Belenkiy, PhD

Vancouver BC
Canada