From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:46:55 -0500
From: Laval Hunsucker <[log in to unmask]>
 Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 07:28:49 -0800

Hey -- I really like that formulation :  "There is *an untapped
opportunity* [ my emphasis - LH ] here to support those who leave
academia but remain keenly interested in research and scholarship
via their academic libraries." And certainly in combination, as in
this case, with the words :  "at no extra fee".

An "untapped opportunity" !  What other electronic journal and/
or database providers ( i.e., publishers, aggregators, etc. ) are there
who share -- or could be successfully urged to share -- in this kind
of Weltanschauung ?

I took a quick look, and of course find lots of online statements
and announcements from individual library systems concerning
special alumni access to certain electronic resources ( typically
without an indication whether the system concerned is paying
extra for such access ), but I haven't found any good general list
of resources whose providers' licenses, either automatically or in
consequence of negotiation, allow them to be made available to
registered alumni, without extra charge either to alumni or to the
intermediary -- and authorizing/authenticating -- institution. But
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if someone on this forum does
know of such a systematic current listing and, if so, I'd be most
interested to hear about it.  Thanks.

And as for Sage, of course :  Chapeau !!

One does perhaps wonder what factors or developments or
calculations or estimates or assumptions may in particular have
played a role leading to this business decision.  Also perhaps :
what if any significant differences might there be in this regard
between social science resources and those for other fields ?

Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland