From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2012 17:24:18 -0400
From: "Kiley, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:19:32 +0100

Sandy

We accept that the CC suite of licences is largely untested in terms
of legal precedent, and that some of the definitions contained in them
are -- as is the case with many licences -- open to interpretation.
What we do have at Wellcome Trust, however, is significant experience
of negotiating with large publishing houses a wide range of open
access licences which have been intended to convey some or all of the
contents and spirit of the CC licences.  That experience has given us
strong evidence of how individual publishers regard what would
constitute activity which was "primarily intended for or directed
toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation", and
this most certainly includes selling translations of articles for a
fee and posting articles to web sites which carry advertising.

It is this experience which has influenced our decision to require a
CC-BY licence on those articles for which we pay an OA publication
fee.

Best regards
Robert

Robert Kiley