From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:09:41 -0400
From: "Frantsvåg Jan Erik" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 07:24:51 +0000

Dear professor Guédon,

While I wholeheartedly agree with your point that predatory publishers
exist and thrive also in the TA publishing sector, we don't need to
see Beall's list as yet another attempt to discredit OA publications.
(This is not to say Beall's lists and opinions are not without fault!)

I see this as a useful tool to steer our authors away from dubious
publishers, and in our case to steer funding from our publishing fund
away from them, too.

And I do believe that such attempts as this to weed out low-quality
and non-serious publishers from the rank of OA publishers are a
necessary part of creating a viable OA publishing sector. OA
discreditors won't do that for us, they will use these publishers as
good arguments against OA, whether we have watch lists or not. Better
to have watch lists, to show that we are trying to do something about
it. Then we can ask them what they are doing to police their flock ...

Among the "better" scams are journals and publishers taking OA
content, printing it and wrapping it up and then selling it to
individuals and libraries.

Best,
Jan Erik Frantsvåg

Open Access adviser