From:
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:41:24 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 06:31:43 +0000

OA or not OA, all content needs to be marketed if it is to attract an
audience. This is because there is a surfeit of information at
everyone's fingertips the volume of which is growing far faster than
anyone's ability to absorb let alone keep up with. Reading time is the
scarce resource and publishers must compete to win a share for their
content, whether journal articles, books or datasets. It could be
argued that discovering that an article or book exists is a larger
barrier to access than whether it is OA or not; either way, discovery
is a prerequisite to access and therefore that's a core competitive
challenge for publishers. Hence the vital importance of marketing
content, whether OA or not.

At OECD we're working hard to build a larger readership since we know
a 'post-and-hope' policy doesn't do the job even if the content is OA.
Our marketing mix includes: press/media, direct mail, e-mail, social
media, SEO, discovery channel management, exhibits and old-fashioned
knocking on doors. It seems to be working: our readership (measured by
downloads) has tripled over the past two years to more than a million
downloads a month and we're reaching a much more global audience too.
Last year just four countries failed to download an OECD publication
(North Korea, Turkmenistan, South Sudan and Central African Republic)
and we saw the fastest growth in Africa and South-East Asia.

Toby Green
Head of Publishing
OECD