From:
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:31:11 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:27:14 -0700

Finch Folly is a great phase.  I know it's intended as derision, but I
like it.  It's also sound economics.  Professor is correct if he is
implying that Gold OA is unnecessarily expensive, but it's likely to
prevail--which makes it necessary, by one definition-- alongside
toll-access publications with more traditional peer review policies
(the Lancet differs from PLoS ONE in this regard, to cite one
example).  Everything about OA will increase costs.  This is because
OA opens the gate to many more publications.  I don't know why some
people see it as an ideal.  It seems to me simply to be a good
business opportunity, like selling eggs to the California miners in
1849.

Joe Esposito