From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:58:32 -0400
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:16:56 +0200

The taxpayer argument always was one of the weaker arguments for OA,
and other financial arguments are, too. Unfortunately, financial
arguments are also the ones that most exercise people. In the course
of the last decade, the discussion about the desirability of OA has
become mostly one about cost reduction of scholarly publishing,
instead of about efficacy of scholarly communication in order to
advance science and knowledge discovery.

Certainly, cost reduction is a good thing to pursue, especially given
the relentless growth of the number of papers published each year. The
cost per paper in particular needs to come down to sustain the system.
The best way to do that is to rid it of subscriptions, and to regard
publishing and it's costs as integral to doing research itself. The
'gold' way to OA, redefining publishing as a service to authors and
their funders, is the most likely to introduce price competition (in
circles of The Scholarly Kitchen also known as "a race to the
bottom"), and the only qualm I have with the way the 'golden' route to
OA now works is that all the cost recovery is loaded on the published
articles, not on all the submitted ones (which could be remedied by a
submission fee instead of a publication fee). Criticisms like 'vanity
publishing' stem from this, and it is an unfair element in the system
left over from the subscription model, that also loads all it's cost
recovery on the published articles. This encourages submissions to a
journal level higher than justified for the paper in question, and
subsequent 'cascading' down to its appropriate level, causing it to be
peer reviewed more often than necessary and thus driving up the cost
of organising and administering that peer review. PeerJ is an attempt
at a remedy. I sincerely hope -- and expect -- they succeed.

Tax and other financial burdens in a 'gold' OA system are in line with
what a society spends on scholarly research, and the question then
becomes a very different, political, one.

Jan Velterop

Sent from my iPad