From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2016 18:47:50 -0500
From: Bernie Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 03:34:15 +0000

Many thanks to those on this list who responded to my post about “fake
news”  Karin Wikoff and Susan Lafferty, in particular, both make
important points about inclusiveness in preserving news. As a longtime
listener to Democracy Now, I agree on the need for a public record
that includes all voices, large and small. There are indeed serious
threats, economic and ideological, to independent journalism of all
stripes in the U.S.  Yet I argue that mainstream media outlets in
particular, like The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and New
York Times, play a special role in society that serves the interests
of the academic research community in a robust and (relatively)
trustworthy record of current events.

For one, they provide the substantial financing necessary for
sustained, in-depth analysis of public issues (even if they get it
wrong now and then), and they alone subsidize costly, long-term
investigations that throw light on some dark places, like Afghanistan,
corporate boardrooms, and the halls of Congress. As an industry they
also provide the legal wherewithal to defend press freedoms in cases
like Sullivan v. NYT. (The recent bankrupting of Gawker by a libel
suit brought by a conservative businessman suggests that this should
not be taken for granted.)

Traditional media organizations have also had a certain inherent
transparency and accountability: Mastheads identify their publishers
and editorial boards, making bias detectable if not obvious; and much
of their revenue still comes from subscribers, creating public
accountability of sorts. Many too invest in maintaining their own
archives online, where retractions and acknowledgements of error
become part of the record. These established conventions set them
apart from the webmaster in Tbilisi, Georgia, whose parasitic “news”
site recycled fabricated reports on Hillary Clinton’s health. And from
most social media platforms, whose revenue streams tie them to the
interests of advertisers and sellers of personal data, rather than the
public interest. Funding models are particularly important in a time
of growing publisher reliance on private equity and “dark money.”

Ergo my belief that the academic research community has a stake in a
healthy and independent news media. While research libraries should
certainly document all viewpoints, the power of the purse creates an
opportunity for us to work with the "fact-based" media to protect the
integrity of the public record.

Bernard F. Reilly
www.CRL.edu