From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2013 12:55:27 -0500
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 10:19:07 +0000

This fable is very cute, but I don't understand why the rigid moralism of
a fable should apply to contract negotiations.  Certainly each party to a
potential contract has the right to negotiate for terms that will reduce
the risk to that party of breach.  No one can do everything, and it is
simple prudence, one might even say honesty, to be sure that one can
perform the obligations undertaken in a contract in compliance with its
terms, and to reform or remove terms that raise a risk of non-compliance.
As it happens, I disagree with Danny about the risk associated with this
particular type of clause, but that is beside the point; he and his
institution are entitled to negotiate in their own interests.  The vendor,
as the drafter of the contract, has presumably already made certain that
the terms meet their needs and protect them adequately.  Why is it a
subject of sarcastic condemnation when the library that is being asked to
sign the agreement simply tries to do the same thing?

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries
P.O. Box 90193
Durham, NC 27708
919-668-4451