From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:06:12 -0500
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>:
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:13 +0000

Subject: RE: Could the University of Iowa Libraries save over $2 million

I still do not know what the word "led" means. I take it that these journals
are only facilitated by libraries through publishing services. This is
presumably different from what is envisioned in campus based publishing (see
the SPARC site) where one way of working encouraged is for library-based
university presses to take responsibility for journals.

Editorial policy in the great majority of journals is "led" by the editors
in chief or sometimes by a group of editors backed up by an editorial board.
In the case of some learned society journals the editorial policy may be
"led" by a publication committee in collaboration with the editorial
structure. I suppose you could argue that some OA publishers such as Hindawi
who do not have editors-in-chief for their journals so these journals are
"led" as well as owned by the publisher. Someone has to have responsibility
for editorial policy and procedures which is usually enshrined in a contract
between responsible for the risk and investment (a publisher) and the
editors.

However does "led" mean "owned". Are these journals "owned" by a scholar or
a group of scholars who take the risk and investment and who are responsible
for the continuance of the journal and its continuing availability if they
give it up. I am not clear what the difference is between a group of
scholars or a learned society/association in business terms or any other
terms except that the latter represents the aspirations of an academic
community and the former just represents the aspirations of a group of
people.

Anthony.