From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2016 22:54:20 -0400
From: "Gilson, Thomas V" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 01:30:31 +0000

Every year there are dozens of librarians who present their work at
the Charleston Conference. They are demonstrating innovative and
collaborative thinking in many areas of library service. Maybe you are
developing or have developed something new that was inspired by what
you heard at a Charleston presentation. Therefore, don't think that
your work wouldn't be sufficiently important - it probably is! We want
to celebrate and encourage the excellent work that is being done in
our libraries.

We are a more innovative profession than we sometimes give ourselves
credit for. Think about new projects or services you've helped
develop, or ideas that are about to take shape in reality. We'd love
to hear from you. Proposals that are collaborative are just as
valuable as those developed by an individual - and we know that most
innovation in libraries is not the product of a single person's ideas
and energy - it is usually a collaborative effort.

A last point - don't worry about having to make a pitch in front of an
audience. This is a friendly and supportive environment, like the
conference itself. As described on the competition page, "The
Conference will offer presentation coaching to all Finalists, if
desired, in advance of the competition. Coaches will provide feedback
and help Finalists refine and improve their "pitches." Coaching will
be available two weeks before the Conference and before the
competition itself."

See the Charleston Library Conference Website at
http://www.charlestonlibraryconference.com/fastpitch/ for eligibility
information and more details on how you can win one of two $2,500
awards!

Application Deadline: September 23, 2016

Contact: [log in to unmask] with questions.

Tom Gilson
Associate Editor, Against the Grain
Head of Reference Emeritus,
Addlestone Library, College of Charleston