From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 21:13:40 -0400
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:24:30 +0000

>> In the meantime, we do have common sense, which says that
>> it's pretty hard to give away content for free and continue selling it
>>at the same time.
>
>But this is exactly what most publishers that have experimented with
>open-access monograph publishing have done. They have sold the same
>content in the form of POD print editions while making the content
>freely available on their websites. This is not theory; it is proven
>fact that one can do both.

For monographs? Yes -- because with monographs, many readers find the
print format to offer a significant added value. The same isn't true of
scholarly journal articles. The vast majority of academics are very happy
with ejournals and show little if any inclination to use journal content
in print. So the comparison really doesn't work.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah