From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 15:30:15 -0400
From: Bernie Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 16:33:28 +0000

I am happy to report that the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) and
the North East Research Libraries Consortium (NERL), a nonprofit
program operating under the auspices of Yale University, have come to
an agreement to relocate NERL operations to CRL.   Under this new
arrangement NERL, which licenses major on-line products on behalf of
28 core member academic research libraries and approximately 80
affiliates, will be managed as a cooperative program under the CRL
organizational umbrella.  Founded in 1949, CRL is a consortium of over
260 academic and independent research libraries in the U.S., Canada
and Hong Kong.   CRL supports advanced research and teaching in the
humanities, sciences and social sciences by preserving and making
available to scholars the primary source materials critical to those
disciplines.

In the past three years CRL has strengthened its own capacity to
support licensing and procurement of electronic resources in areas of
traditional CRL collecting strength:  news,  historical archives,
government records and publications, and statistical information.  We
believe that this new working relationship will enable CRL and NERL to
better represent the needs and interests of the major research
libraries in securing electronic access to source materials for
scholars.

In mapping out our licensing activities, we at CRL have benefited from
the good advice and counsel of Ann Okerson, founder of NERL and
LIBLICENSE, and Joseph Esposito, an habitué of this listserv.

Bernie. Reilly
President
The Center for Research Libraries