From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2015 21:31:16 -0400
From: "Bargheer, Margo Friederike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 08:07:43 +0000

Dear All,
as it became obvious in the last years, running black lists on
malpractice in publishing quickly opens up new problems. Just a few
days ago in a panel discussion during the Open Access Days in Zürich
one of the panelists, a life science researcher, accused an Open
Access publisher as predatory because he had received an unqualified
invitation for a review. The questioned publisher is a member of OASPA
and serves the needs of several research communities very well --
however obviously not exactly the one of our panelist.

Instead of black lists run by individuals and thus depending on their
personal judgement I think we need white lists resting on practice and
crowd-sourced effort.

The platform "Quality Open Access Market"

https://www.qoam.eu/about

seems quite promising to me [disclaimer: I am positively biased]. It
rests on a division of labor: librarians or institutional staff feed
the general metadata of scholarly Open Access journals into the
system, active contributors (authors and editors) evaluate the
journal's quality.

In Göttingen I would like to set our workflows as such that each
author we support with our central Open Access publication fund
receives an invitation to score the journals he/she has just published
in. This also against the backdrop that authors have to meet funder's
requirements to publish OA and increasingly ask for the library's
advice on how to judge the quality of Open Access journals.

Greetings from Göttingen

Margo Bargheer

Leitung Elektronisches Publizieren ǀ Head of Electronic Publishing
----------------------------
Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen
State and University Library Goettingen

tel +49 (0)551 39-91188 ǀ fax +49 (0)551 39-22457
www.sub.uni-goettingen.de

----------------------------
Universitätsverlag Göttingen ǀ University Press Goettingen
* univerlag.uni-goettingen.de
Elektronische Dissertationen ǀ Electronic Dissertations
* sub.uni-goettingen.de/elektronisches-publizieren/
Institutional Repository
* goedoc.uni-goettingen.de/goescholar/
Open Access
* www.open-access.net