From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 20:02:18 -0400
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:48:24 -0400

It seems to me that, in definitional discussions, we should clearly
distinguish between ultimate objectives and intermediate steps. The
definitions crafted back in 2001-3 were certainly imperfect, if only
because much had yet to be understood and discovered at that time.
Yet, they did include essential items that we should not abandon. And
shifting ground in mid-course does not appear altogether wise to me.
Yet, they defined a clear objective, a vision, a dream perhaps. And,
as such, they are just fine. But an objective, a vision, or a dream,
is not a reality.

At the same time, I understand Stevan's points very well and, like
him, get concerned when I see people all tangled up in definitions
rather than pushing for open access, step by step.

As a result, I would suggest keeping the original definitions, but
treat them as if they were somewhat analogous to the North that a
compass points to: we want to move in some direction related to the
North, but we know that the North given by the compass is not entirely
accurate, and we know that it is an ultimate end point that cannot be
reached without many detours, if only because we meet obstacles. In
short, we need to have some general, fixed reference, and then we
progress as best we can in the direction we want.

In short, we should treat the original definitions as a strategic
vision, but not let the definitions block our tactical steps. From a
strategic perspective, a tactical move will appear imperfect and
incomplete. However, this is not a very useful way to judge the
tactical step. Instead, the strategist should aim the following kind
of judgement: is a particular tactical step susceptible of impeding
further steps in the (more or less) right direction? If it is, then,
it is time to stop, reconsider, and modify. If not, let us accept it,
even if it appears far from perfection.

And I would push the argument just a little further by reminding
Stevan (and perhaps some others) that the idea of a perfect tactical
schedule is as elusive as the perfect objective. Having the vision for
perfect tactics may usefully inform decision-making in concrete
situations, but it should not be mistaken for absolute necessity and
it cannot justify rigid recommendations. The "terrain" offered by
various disciplines, countries and institutions is much too varied to
permit a single approach to every situation.

In short, confusing strategic visions with tactical steps is a
complicated way of saying that perfection can be the enemy of the
good.
--

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire