From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:11:20 -0500
From: "Aurelia J. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:42:51 -0600

Hi Sandy,

I'll give an opinion here, though as is typical with attorney opinions
that are not legal advice it may not be as helpful as you'd hoped.

That particular provision of CC-BY that Klaus cited under (i), Section
4(c), is in the licenses in order to address moral rights. In some
countries, any adaptation can be considered to violate moral rights,
hence the specific listing of Japan in the license.  But in other
countries, like the United States, there are no moral rights.  So I
would suggest that whether or not a bad translation of a CC-BY work
violates section 4(c) of the license depends on whether or not the
translation is "prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or
reputation" under the laws of the country where the license is being
enforced.

In the US, a bad translation should not violate the license.  In other
countries with strong traditions of protecting authors' honor, maybe
it would.

Aurelia

Aurelia J. Schultz, Attorney at Law
California | Wisconsin