From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 17:19:03 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 00:03:00 +0000

Please read my post more carefully, Joe.  I am not saying anything
like what you attribute to me.  Of course established business can
enter new areas.  And such business are often capable of great
creativity. Those points are obvious, and irrelevant to what I was
arguing, which was about fair use and the exclusivity of copyright.
In the context of fair use, a rights holder should not be able to
undermine a transformative use simply by asserting that the use usurps
a potential market they might decide later to exploit.  In other
words, one business should not be able to use  copyright to circumvent
the creativity you speak so highly of by another business.  Copyright
is, by its nature, anti-competitive, and this careful delineation of
what markets copyright can and cannot foreclose to others is all about
keeping that anti-competitive Impact within reasonable bounds. Mead
could not have developed Lexis Nexis, nor Lockhead Dialog, if a
competitor could get a court to shut down the new, creative business
by claiming that the market for that new idea was exclusively theirs,
whether or not they had tried to enter it, or even thought about it.

Fair use exists to keep copyright from overreaching, so as to protect
some cherished values.  One is free speech, and another is free market
competition.  Rights holders, of course, want the most expansive
market exclusivity they can get, since no established business really
wants competition.  But when it comes to fair use, the courts have
engaged in a careful delimitation of what markets really should be
reserved to the rights holder and which ones are, at least, more
amenable to the creativity of a fair user.  In those markets the
rights holder is still free to enter if they wish, they just might
have to compete on an even basis, the way other businesses must.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries