From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 18:47:58 -0400
From: "Seeley, Mark (ELS-WAL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 00:37:47 +0000

Though it is often the case that exceptions, and fair use, are often
drafted in ways that are unclear and a matter for further debate if
not actual litigation.  In my view clarity in license language is a
better alternative, although I think that position won't surprise
anyone, as it is a position that I have in common with my colleagues
in various publishing trade associations, and of course I steer some
of that debate among the publishing community in my role as chair of
the STM association's Copyright Committee.

As I noted in my earlier post, Elsevier is sometimes asked to put in
references in US negotiations to "fair use" but we generally do not
receive a clear response as to what precisely is meant.  Most
publisher licenses that I have seen for online content,
notwithstanding what I have sometimes heard from my friends at the
British Library, provide for quite extensive internal academic and
research use, enable coursepack use of digital content, have some kind
of provisions for interlibrary loan, and address questions about
archiving and long-term preservation concerns, and now deal with TDM
concerns.  That list could always be expanded or added to, I'm sure,
but clarity about what additional rights would be useful/helpful is,
in my view, better than references to possible exceptions and
interpretations.

As far as lawyer jokes, usually lawyers themselves tell the worst of
these, but of course real discourse is always preferable!

Mark

Mark Seeley, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Elsevier
M: [log in to unmask]
Internal Elsevier Legal department intranet site:
http://nonsolus/legaldepartment/
External information at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/homepage.cws_home