From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:51:28 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:37:20 +0100

Much of what Grossman says I agree with, particularly his remarks
about major publishers gobbling up nearly all the serials budgets, and
that situation being "totally unacceptable in terms of providing
researchers and their institutions with the freedom and flexibility to
access the information they need for their work."

Its partly in response to this situation that we have developed our
Pay only for Usage model. Its what it says: all our content + backfile
is put in a library, no subscription or other upfront charges, nor any
ongoing commitment. When downloads are made, they are charged at $5
each. The maximum possible theoretical charge is capped for budgeting
purposes. Administratively and technically simple, cheaper and quicker
than ILL; the library is enriched; discovery is easier for researchers
in that the content is already in the library; many of our customers
for this find they are able to fund it from other 'pots' rather than
the already stressed serials budget. To my mind, above all, this model
addresses the question of equity. Why should you pay for content you
have not used - under the subscription model that is, to some degree,
inevitable. Here, the tables are turned, and you only pay for what you
use.

Where I disagree with Grossman is in his contention that it takes just
one or a few key institutions to change the world. No it doesn't, it
takes much more than that. While the rate of institutions signing up
for this model is increasing - in the last two months, just in the
USA, four major institutions have signed licences with us - what's
needed is something more like 'a lot' or 'most' libraries to join with
us. Its in demonstrating that this model has worked, and that it has
the support of the library community, that its landscape changing
potential will be realised, as other publishers come to see that this
idea, or their own variants on it, could work for them too. You might
say that nothing will change the practices of 'Big Publishing' so
advantageous to them is the status quo. But look around. If 'market
forces' can make them engage with OA (even if under flags of
convenience at the moment) why could similar pressure not ultimately
force them to engage with this concept?

Librarians who want to change the world have to recognise that they
too need to step out from behind their own barricades.

Bill Hughes
Director
Multi-Science Publishing