From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:52:31 -0500
From: Ivy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 04:30:31 +0000

I think it needs to be recognized that this is primarily a public
library use case, with only limited applicability in an academic
context.  Nonetheless to respond to Alex's second question, for most
libraries, the first instance is infinitely better than the second
from a collection-building perspective because it allows the library
to add the book to its permanent collection and make it available over
the long term without re-purchasing it.  Increased demand can in
theory be satisfied through multiple copies where needed (again note
the public library context;  this form of restricted use is less
applicable in the academic sphere, and of course it's still
sub-optimal).  But in a context in which one must choose between a
finite number of checkouts (which also implies a single user at a
time, else what is the meaning of a 'checkout'?) and a single use in
perpetuity, the long-term value of the latter is obvious. Best sellers
may be best sellers today but many of them will still find readers
years from now. A limited checkout model also forces the library to
continually monitor and manage legacy content at the individual item
level at the expense of devoting energy and resources to acquiring new
content, which isn't in anyone's interest.  If the finite number of
checkouts model were much cheaper than the permanent ownership model
(and the permanent ownership model were comparable to current purchase
costs, i.e. permanent ownership isn't suddenly made prohibitive, but
rather time-limited use is cheap), there might be some useful economic
discrimination between the desire to own something and the more
limited need to service current demand.  And it would enable hybrid
models that allow a library to own one copy and lease additional uses
to satisfy short-term demand at a low incremental cost.  Perhaps this
already exists?

But just to repeat, the academic and public library contexts are very
different use cases here.

I also think equating this to the 'back of a cocktail napkin' is an
unfortunate and misguided image, rather what's interesting is the
simplicity of a transaction that assumes good faith among all the
parties.  SERU anyone?

http://www.niso.org/workrooms/seru

- Ivy

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President