From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:05:34 -0500
From: Wilhelmina Randtke <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:57:44 -0600

Maybe a constructive awareness-raising thing to do would be to lay out
alternatives to prospective authors selling rights for a song to
Apollo Global Management.

In academic law land, where I currently reside, the open text book
initiative is eLangdell ( http://elangdell.cali.org/ ).  CALI, a
consortium, accepts proposals for textbooks from professors at member
law schools.  The professor gets a payment from CALI and assigns the
copyright of the textbook to CALI.  Then CALI makes these available
through that website under either BY-NC-SA or BY-SA Creative Commons
licenses (that CALI will do this is part of the initial agreement with
the author, see
http://elangdell.cali.org/content/write-elangdell-casebook-or-chapter
).

What is going on with open textbooks in other fields?

-Wilhelmina Randtke