From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:19:13 -0400
From: "Ivie, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:29:58 -0700

Isn't the study of a subject, like politics, a science? The study of
politics employs a variety of methodologies that lead to quantitative
analyses. To me, this infers that the science would be in the
methodologies used and the discovery of outcomes. Sure, there is plenty
of subjectivity in the social sciences, but there is a great deal of
objectivity that is backed by quantitative methods. I think it could be
argued that even though a subject isn't studied at the cellular,
molecular, compound level, etc., it can still be studied scientifically.
Science really is the effort to understand, or at least try to
understand, by using observable evidence. Some would argue that it is
understood through the observation of "natural" evidence. What is
natural?  Can politics be studied by the observation of natural
evidence? Are behaviors part of nature? I know this discussion is a bit
off the LibLicense topic, but it did make me think about what a science
is and left me with a few questions as well.

Thomas Ivie, M.P.A., M.S.L.S.