From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 19:21:47 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 23:40:28 -0500

I'm afraid I have to view this debate differently. While the CC BY
definition may be a laudable goal for some sectors of publishing and
for some subset of scholars, I do not think it works as an ideal end
point for all sectors and for all scholars. We talked about what later
came to be dubbed "open access" in the CIC way back in the early
1990s, so I don't see why the BOAI group should be ceded any authority
as controlling the definition of OA or should be given any deference
just because it invented the term (if it did). It was a much smaller
group than the CIC and was focused much more narrowly on one type of
publishing (STM journals). It can be credited with helping start a
real movement, but I would question whether its definition of OA
should somehow be regarded as gospel, worthy of worship beyond all
competing "strategic visions," to use Jean-Claude's terminology.

Sandy Thatcher