From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:03:45 -0500
From: Lloyd Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:54:22 -0600

Applying a pay-per-use system to highly specialized fields, e.g.
taxonomy, where only very small numbers of people might be interested
in an article on a particular species, and where such articles would
predictably have very few readers, and fewer yet willing to pay for
access to them, would result in a system where publishers would no
longer have any incentive to publish such specialized papers at all.
Consequently, small fields of study would likely cease to exist, to
the great detriment of science as a whole.  Such fields are already in
jeopardy and who can honestly know what article will be important now
or in the future?  If I happen to be one of the two or three
researchers in the world working on that particular species or genus,
that taxonomic paper  could well be vitally important to me but I
might not need it for 100 years after it was published.

In the humanities, where citations are less used than in the sciences,
this system would be particularly devastating, to say nothing of how
authors would feel when the inevitable annual reports to authors were
issued by the publishers that showed that nobody was willing to pay
for (i.e. read) your last publication, or, for that matter, perhaps
any other of your publications. Such a system would make many authors
feel like failures and would provide wonderfully specific hard data
for denying tenure and promotion, as well as to politicians looking to
cut funding for education.

Who would be willing to pay to read an article that was found
serendipitously, perhaps by browsing, and looked somewhat interesting
but was peripheral to your interests of the moment?  If libraries paid
for such pay-per-use access, would they have to  limit the number of
papers that each user might be allowed to read?  If individuals
without grants, e.g. students, had to pay, where would the money come
from?

It's hard to see how a pay-per-use system could operate equally well
for authors, readers (especially casual ones) and publishers.

Lloyd