From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:30:10 -0500
From: "Hulbert, Linda A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:54:13 +0000

I apologize to the community for conflating Limitations on exclusive
rights: Fair Use as described in Section 107 and Section 108
Limitations on exclusive rights: Reproduction by libraries and
archives. I look at them as a whole.

I have colleagues who believe we should be able to lend the entire
ebook as they would a print book. I admire their position and hope
they are successful in their endeavors.  I, personally, am not
advocating for that.  In my experience and particularly in this day
and age of short attention span, most users would be satisfied with a
chapter and I believe we should be able to comply with that request as
we would from a print book. Perhaps, the difference vis-à-vis the law
is moot, but for me The New Chapter for JSTOR is not being able to
copy a chapter.

I do not feel the need to protect, defend or campaign on behalf of
publishers, whether University presses or Elsevier. They seem to be
able to represent themselves well without me.

As for the pricing that's a different discussion. I can choose to
purchase something or not based on what my institution can afford. If
we can't afford it, we won't buy it. JSTOR has provided a multitude of
ways of purchasing the content and I believe I could work within those
models for my institution. I  have sympathy for the University press
that has a book that is used as a textbook which is their bread and
butter - and allows them to be able to publish the unread. I wish them
well at finding a model that accommodates both needs.

I appreciate the conversation that my initial letter has sparked and
look forward to other participants chiming in.

Linda
Linda Hulbert, Associate Director
Collection Management and Services
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library #5004